Thursday 13 December 2012

Current Music Chart Analysis


I decided to identify the current UK top 10 chart for the week beginning the 9th of December. Before looking, I predicted that the top 10 would mostly be Pop with some R&B. But I discovered some things that I wasn't expecting at all. It shocked me to find an Indie/Folk song at No1, as this isn't very common at all. I was expecting a Pop song which explains within itself is that the contemporary music charts are dominated with Pop music. I do expect though that next week's No1 will be the single from the latest winner of The X Factor, which will be a Pop song. Another thing that surprised me on the chart was to find a Funk song at No2, this is just as uncommon as having an Indie or folk song this far up in the chart, as Pop dominates most of the charts. The last thing for me that was having a K-Pop song in the top 10. Obviously, Gangnam style has been wildly popular internationally, being the most viewed and most liked video on Youtube and holds the record for the first K-Pop song to reach No1 in the UK. This is even more uncommon as K-Pop music only seems to be popular in its native continent of Asia. As it is in a different language, it is unusual and rare for a K-Pop to get this popular.

I created a pie chart containing this information in Microsoft Excel to further prove my statement that pop dominates the current charts.


No comments:

Post a Comment